mercury amalgam fillings
white fillings and a porcelain onlay
Our Practice is totally mercury free. We have not used any mercury amalgam fillings since 1995 as we have serious concerns about their safety.
It was thought that the mercury completely combined with the silver in a 50/50 ratio to make an amalgam filling which was then considered safe. Research now shows that in fact the mercury does slowly leak out over the years and the mercury vapour is absorbed into the body most especially to the brain and kidneys. You can see this on your own fillings as they get blacker with age as the Mercury leaks out and the Silver tarnishes. This long-term heavy metal poison has been linked to many neurological disorders. We can do hair analysis using mass spectrography which can be used to ascertain your own mercury toxic load.
We use white plastic filling material for small cavities and porcelain or yellow gold for larger ones.
We protect our patients from the mercury vapour released when mercury fillings are drilled and replaced by using a barrier (Rubber Dam) with high-speed suction, so that the patient does not swallow or inhale the mercury vapour. We also use a Mercury Filter.
We can also advise on chelating agents and nutritional supplements to support the treatments.